Military Discharge Papers (DD-214)

All discharged military veterans should record copies of their military discharge papers (DD-214 forms) from any branch of the Armed Forces. This should be done in the veteran’s home county as soon as possible following discharge from the military service. There is no cost for this service.

Certified copies can then be provided at no cost to veterans throughout their lifetime. Please contact the County Clerk’s office to obtain a certified copy of your DD-214 form.

Thanks to a recent change in Illinois law, DD-214 records are now considered a confidential vital record and can not be accessed by the public at large.